Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last edited:
Awww. I was hoping someone was actually doing that. I wouldn't buy that motor - the seller is clearly an idiot as they didn't even mention what it came out of, and therefore it's definitely ruined.

And yeah, it would burn to the ground about 1 lap in, but it would be the most glorious single lap in history.

Awesome! My car is overheating with a full tank of coolant and a fan that appears to be working. Off to the shop to find answers.

Awww. I was hoping someone was actually doing that. I wouldn't buy that motor - the seller is clearly an idiot as they didn't even mention what it came out of, and therefore it's definitely ruined.

And yeah, it would burn to the ground about 1 lap in, but it would be the most glorious single lap in history.

It's out of a Gallardo- this is the second posting of the ad. The original.

Awesome! My car is overheating with a full tank of coolant and a fan that appears to be working. Off to the shop to find answers.

Don't those things have an electric water pump?

Failing that, it's about time for the German thermostat in that thing to go poof, so that's probably it.

One way you could verify what is going on is to get one of those cheap laser-aimed thermometers and carry it around in the car - then aim it at the coolant temp sender the next time it looks like it's trying to overheat.

I just sold my '05 S last week. Have you looked/search northamericanmotoring.com? Afaik, it's one of the largest MINI sites with a huge knowledge base.

To me the issue seems plausible that it's thermostat, but I honestly didn't have the car long enough to research that much.

Oh no...when did you get rid of the S60R, and most importantly...WHY?

drove a very hairdressery 207 cc pug today...and lo and behold, someone decided to rearend me.

What kind of idiot thinks that a vehicle with three brake hoses can use a "Complete OE Fit Replacement Kit" with only TWO hoses?

Last edited:
a car unsavvy person?

Awful lot of cars with Texas plates over here nowadays, How are the Car Jacking rates over there?

Last edited:
a car unsavvy person?

Awful lot of cars with Texas plates over here nowadays, How are the Car Jacking rates over there?

No, it's these guys:
Logo_Galferii_copy.jpg

I'm calling Hel and having some (demonic?) custom units made up, this is ridiculous.

Carjack rates are low, but what you are seeing is either stolen and exported cars or the diverted Christian missionary projects that used to go to Mexico every summer.

Last edited:
Ugh, there are a few mk4 jetta's in my self imposed used car price limit. (5,000 to 6,000) I keep telling myself it would be a nice replacement for the Saturn when it does give up the ghost,(I hope to buy a new car later this summer) and having rode in two I really like the interior and safety features. Only things that concern me are:

VW's horrendous reliability, nothing but horror stories about windows suddenly falling into the doors, electrical gremlins, etc.

Quite frankly, unacceptable fuel economy with the base 2.0 115hp engine, which is what I'd get figuring it would be more durable/reliable than turbocharged models (no need for me to go fast, I'm used to a snail slow 85 horsepower car!)

Someone talk rational sense into me, because for me to consider a car that could be exponentially more unreliable must mean I've gone mad! :D

The windows falling into the door thing was recalled. If you can find one where someone already replaced the timing belt and associated equipment it shouldn't be just horrible, but it will be fraught with gremlins, yet. And it might leak water at random intervals. Oh and the trim might fall off. And probably the soft touch surface will have worn off a bit.