Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Don't forget to adopt a cocker spaniel. That's still a requirement, right?

Does have to be a cocker spaniel?

I'm not sure, it's been a few years since I took that course.

I kind of want to replace my Honda with a 03-08 Subaru Forester this year. I really like that gen forester and think it would make a good car for everyday driving. Would have to pay special attention to the headgaskets though.

I've always liked that generation Forester as well. Always just out of my price range, and the headgasket thing scared me off.

I kind of want to replace my Honda with a 03-08 Subaru Forester this year. I really like that gen forester and think it would make a good car for everyday driving. Would have to pay special attention to the headgaskets though.

I've got a 2003. Don't buy a turbo, buying a used turbo Subaru is usually a poor choice. I bought my Forester in 2011 with 65k on it, as of last week it's got 141k. Only time I've had to take it to a shop has been for doing regular prescribed maintenance (you must get the timing belt replaced at 110k miles or else the engine will eat itself) and the time I backed into a tree. They're great little cars, and you'd be surprised at how much you can fit inside of them. Decently fun to drive, too, the centre of gravity is low enough to not make the handling suck.

I've always liked that generation Forester as well. Always just out of my price range, and the headgasket thing scared me off.

FWIW, headgasket issues seem to have dropped off dramatically after 2004 or so. My 2003 hasn't been affected either, but perhaps I'm just lucky.

Unhooking the battery should not cause to many problems. You will have to set your presets on the radio again, but it won't be a problem driving it once you hook it back up.

Of course you can always go and get a trickle charger. Don't settle for a cheap one that can overcharge the battery.

Thanks!

I don't think a month is enough to cause any troubles, more so with a nearly brand-new car.
It should start as intended when you come back.

Sweet!

I think the longest I ever left my car sitting around was two weeks, it didn't have any issues with start up

This is just about 3.5 weeks, so we'll see. Last time I left the cars for a 1.5 month trip, the batteries were dead as dirt and needed a boost before I could set off. When I did it on dad's Nissan, the proximity sensor blew up and it wouldn't start after that, requiring us to tow it to the dealership. That was a brand new car at the time too.

The Kadett, being 35 years old and all, started right up when I returned from an eight-week stay in the US.

OLIVER!

Except for the crap ethanol laced gas we get here in the US, and especially in CA. While the battery might be okay, especially if you disconnect it, the gas may begin returning to corn in a month's time. I'd suggest using a little Sta-bil in the tank as a precaution against that.

What would actually happen over a months time?

Scoobaru, do eet.

What would actually happen over a months time?

From my experience, nothing. Which might be different since I start the Mustang once a week which stirs things around.

You will be fine.
A month is not enough time to cause trouble.

This article is geared more towards classic Brit cars, but it addresses some of the problems with ethanol and storage.
http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/ethanol.html

I have seen ethanol laced gas start producing gums/varnishes in a fuel system in as little as two weeks sitting, let alone a month. A lot depends on the environment, the brand of gas, the vehicle's materials, etc.

I've got a 2003. Don't buy a turbo, buying a used turbo Subaru is usually a poor choice. I bought my Forester in 2011 with 65k on it, as of last week it's got 141k. Only time I've had to take it to a shop has been for doing regular prescribed maintenance (you must get the timing belt replaced at 110k miles or else the engine will eat itself) and the time I backed into a tree. They're great little cars, and you'd be surprised at how much you can fit inside of them. Decently fun to drive, too, the centre of gravity is low enough to not make the handling suck.

FWIW, headgasket issues seem to have dropped off dramatically after 2004 or so. My 2003 hasn't been affected either, but perhaps I'm just lucky.

Thanks for input! The forester would be a daily runabout so I'm not to concerned with "fun to drive" but I don't want a land barge road cruiser. I have my BRZ and Miata for fun driving.

As it turns out it isn't the 9000 whose handling sucks, but my all-seasons. Somehow my 15" snows (Dunlop Wintersport 3D) handle better than my 16" all-seasons (Toyo Extensa HP). I know what I'm getting in the spring.

I thought that only applied to the Outback? I guess I'll have to reconsider then. What if I got the turbocharged XT trim?

Budget to replace turbo every 35K or so, Subaru used a very crappy banjo bolt to feed oil to the turbo so under hard acceleration it would starve the turbo and cause to lunch itself. Far as I know there is no aftermarket fix for that issue, if you drive like a gramma then you might be OK.

My buddy has one with a full STi swap and it is quite cool:
12141675_10153208962773785_990508797062061710_n.jpg

Budget to replace turbo every 35K or so, Subaru used a very crappy banjo bolt to feed oil to the turbo so under hard acceleration it would starve the turbo and cause to lunch itself. Far as I know there is no aftermarket fix for that issue, if you drive like a gramma then you might be OK.

My buddy has one with a full STi swap and it is quite cool:
12141675_10153208962773785_990508797062061710_n.jpg

As cool as that looks, I'll still with the NA versions. It would just be a daily so reliability over power. I would likely even get a *gasp* automatic trans. Bumper to bumper traffic sucks in a manual.

YouTube comments are hilarious.
"I am a Ford fan, but the engine on the Shelby GT350 left me disappointed. It makes no torque at all!"
:rolleyes:
:lol:

Anyone familiar with late 90s Dodge full size vans? I need to know if the front sub frame is bolt in, or can otherwise be replaced fairly easily.

If it makes any difference, it is a 1998 B2500.

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with late 90s Dodge full size vans? I need to know if the front sub frame is bolt in, or can otherwise be replaced fairly easily.

If it makes any difference, it is a 1998 B2500.

IIRC it is. Good luck finding a nonrusty used one to bolt in there though.

That is what I thought too.

Last edited: