Rep or no rep?

Rep or no rep?

• Yay!

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • Nay!

Votes: 39 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part of it I found useful as a gauge of the person's contributions to the forum.

One of my big concerns with the rep system is that in the wrong hands, rep can be used to encourage echo-chamber like tendencies, where people are voting less on a quality of a post, but whether or not they agree with a post. To see how this can be a bad thing, just look at what Reddit has become lately in its bigger subreddits. Thankfully I haven't quite seen that happen yet here for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, but as I mostly lurk, I don't feel myself qualified to vote.

Not too bothered tbh. I very rarely used the rep system anyway and I don't think I have ever neg-repped anybody.

One problem with it is that if you end up with negative rep then it can easily become the case that anything you post will be regarded as bad regardless of actual content. The visitor message system would be good for giving thanks etc without generating a "score".
The rep system often ends up being used as a private argument between two posters which renders it pointless.

One of my big concerns with the rep system is that in the wrong hands, rep can be used to encourage echo-chamber like tendencies, where people are voting less on a quality of a post, but whether or not they agree with a post. To see how this can be a bad thing, just look at what Reddit has become lately in its bigger subreddits. Thankfully I haven't quite seen that happen yet here for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, but as I mostly lurk, I don't feel myself qualified to vote.

Sure but it also helps stop petty squabbles spilling out into the main body of the forum. We haven't seen many examples of late as it has been pretty quiet since the rep system disappeared but it's bad enough already when an argument does boil over.

We are pretty good at self-policing without have to run to the mods every 5 minutes unlike many other boards on the web and I think the rep system is a pretty useful tool for us all to have. Some dickhead n00b troll shows up and with the rep system a few shots from the red blob gun and they soon either disappear, moderate their behaviour accordingly or if they are utter trolls get what they deserve in the form of a ban fairly quickly but the -rep handed out by respected regulars is a good indicator to the mods as to what action is required. The mods here are all volunteers rather than paid and I don't think any of them want to have to be reading tons of reports and handing out bans and infractions all the time.

Not too bothered tbh. I very rarely used the rep system anyway and I don't think I have ever neg-repped anybody.

One problem with it is that if you end up with negative rep then it can easily become the case that anything you post will be regarded as bad regardless of actual content. The visitor message system would be good for giving thanks etc without generating a "score".
The rep system often ends up being used as a private argument between two posters which renders it pointless.

I've haven't seen that happen. There is a cool down period between reppings per person.

I'm in favor of the rep system, especially since the calculation has been revised to curb inflation.

It gives a chance to reward good posts that the community values and allows for a way to offer support and feedback without cluttering up the forum with needles "+1" and "This" replies, something that has already started in the short time the rep system has been down. It's entirely optional, no user is forced to participate and the rep score really doesn't mean anything in terms of forum privileges; it's just another way to offer feedback, not unlike the Facebook "Like" button, but with twice as many possible responses.

As for adding a "Like" button, some of you may recall the brief experiment we had with that and it was almost universally hated with the fire of a thousand curry-fueled shits.

Last edited:
As for adding a "Like" button, some of you may recall the brief experiment we had with that and it was almost universally hated with the fire of a thousand curry-fueled shits.

As I recall, that had more to do with a) the implementation of it; b) it breaking the forum's design; c) it being redundant what with rep and all.

Congratulations, you made a poll. That doesn't fix the problem with the broken code that doesn't allow anyone to leave rep.

+rep

I'm in favor of the rep system, especially since the calculation has been revised to curb inflation.

As far as I could tell all it did was divide by 10. Lower numbers, yeah, but then noobs were lowered by a decimal point too. :/

Annoying parts of the rep system aside (ie. "I can't rep him/her, someone do it for me! Derp!"), what I liked about it was that it was private... other than the e-peen bars. But I wouldn't mind replacing rep with a like/dislike system, if it stayed private like rep (god damned forums that show how many likes each post gets...) but without the eventually pointlessly exponential power, just simply every like is one like. I would not mind that one bit.

I also don't care if everything goes away. Needs an option for "meh". Might as well vote nay to neutralise altoid's yay. :p

Last edited:
But you have to earn the right to post rep - say 100 posts before you can. Should cut out the Trolls, they would be 'sussed out' by then.

Wait I had the highest rep of everyone here, so that means....

Hey babe! :wicked:

As for the raep, i don't care either way!

If we keep the rep system, we'll also keep the moaning about it and the rep-whoring. If we don't, we'll get moaning about not being able to rep (or get repped) anymore instead.

Everyone had full green blobs, hardly anyone used negrep, if it was used people bitched and cried, revengenegrepped.......what's the point of hoarding up green blobs only? If it is reintroduced, I vote to ban it from:

- Random thoughts threads
- Political section

Then again, I don't think FG needs it, since the cool people hang out in IRC and the others are not worthy anyways. :p

I vote to ban it from:

- Political section
The political section, while at times very heated, the most likely subforum to get serious discussions with good, thoroughly bred arguments. If a rep function is appropiate anywhere, then it's there. Therefore, I counter your proposal by proposing to exclude the "post something funny you found while browsing the internet" threads from the rep system.

I am fully aware that excluding sections or even threads from the system must be a pain in the ass to implement, and therefore I don't expect it to happen. I just wanted to counter D-Fence's post because I think he is wrong about the matter.

Personally I liked the rep, it was a personal way to give a nod to a post (or express dislike). For example I would've +repped Spectre's newest post in the RT-AE thread because I approve of and automated zombieplow. :D A like button is all well and good but unless you knew who liked it there's no personal connection.

I thought the rep-wars were funny too...

If it's possible it would be nice to see it back, if not well then it's tough titties for me.

Everyone had full green blobs, hardly anyone used negrep, if it was used people bitched and cried, revengenegrepped.......what's the point of hoarding up green blobs only? If it is reintroduced, I vote to ban it from:

- Political section

Then again, I don't think FG needs it, since the cool people hang out in IRC and the others are not worthy anyways. :p

Although the political forum got very heated I can't remember a single neg-rep war there.

One of my big concerns with the rep system is that in the wrong hands, rep can be used to encourage echo-chamber like tendencies, where people are voting less on a quality of a post, but whether or not they agree with a post.
But it keeps those echoes off the forum, which is a good thing IMO.