The Android thread

I've got my Galaxy SIII up and running on Straight Talk. It took a while to get data sorted, but I'm excited to play around with it. I've got Llama already and once I get an microSD card, MX Player and ProAmp.

The phone is running 4.1.1 JB and now that I have canned most of the TW features, I'm happy with it until I install Nova Launcher.

Re: The Android thread

Did you root and reflash or running it stock? My SIII is currently rooted but still on ICS 4.0.1. Currently running Nova Launcher to cover up TW

Nexus 4 delayed again here, cancelled order, ordered One X+....which is now on backorder. FML.

It'll be worth the wait, assuming it gets the same level of dev support as the other versions.

i have iCoyote installed on my phone
and my phone is connected to my car radio via bluetooth

this means all sound is sent to my radio
i want my calls and my music to be streamed to my radio, the but the iCoyote notifications shouldn't, i just want my phone to use it's own speaker for that (because it also mutes the music when giving a message over bluetooth)

so is there an app that lets you manage what you want to send out of bluetooth and what he has to play on local speakers (can't just disable media streaming, or my music wouldn't play over bluetooth either)

Did you root and reflash or running it stock? My SIII is currently rooted but still on ICS 4.0.1. Currently running Nova Launcher to cover up TW

Nope, just did a factory reset and am running JB 4.1.1. It was rooted, but since I reset it, it is now unrooted.

I am also now using Alpha Launcher.

Just found out that my contract is up earlier than I thought - in February. I have a Droid Incredible 2 right now and I really like it a lot. Question is, what should I upgrade to? Galaxy S3? Nexus 4? :hmm:

Camera is important to me... as is battery life... Speed and big screen are nice too... This is all nitpicking though.

Just found out that my contract is up earlier than I thought - in February. I have a Droid Incredible 2 right now and I really like it a lot. Question is, what should I upgrade to? Galaxy S3? Nexus 4? :hmm:

Camera is important to me... as is battery life... Speed and big screen are nice too... This is all nitpicking though.

Galaxy S 3 is still a very nice handset. Of course, by now, some want to see what's around the corner with it's successor. Rumor's abound about stuff like a flexible display and such. Never a good idea to base a purchase on rumor obviously.

The HTC DROID DNA is the logical upgrade for you since your coming from a incredible. Battery life is a bit of a downer on it though and dont expect to be able to swap out batteries: it's non user replaceable.

If you're willing to live with a smaller display and smaller onboard storage (that's unexpandable) the nexus 4 on a prepaid plan from T-Mobile or Straight Talk (mvno running on both T-Mobile and AT&T) is a excellent "safe bet" choice. Decent specs and stock Android + fast updates makes it a winner. Just don't come at it if you need a huge display or LTE.

The SGS3 is a brilliant handset if you are willing to live with a $500 phone that feels like it's made of interior materials rejected by 1990s US carmakers for being too cheap.

So pay the same for an HTC One X (+) and have a better experience with superior build quality.

Another vote for the SGS3 to counter Ice's hatred of Samsung. :p

A matter of taste I suppose. I agree that touching a HTC is much more orgasmic than a Samsung. Nonetheless, the latter are at least just as solidly built and uses state of the art technology.

Also, I personally would never buy a phone with a non-removable battery.

Last edited:
A matter of taste I suppose. I agree that touching a HTC is much more orgasmic than a Samsung. Nonetheless, the latter are at least just as solidly built and uses state of the art technology.

Also, I personally would never buy a phone with a non-removable battery.

certainly a matter of taste! i'd advise anyone to play around with all potential devices, just to see how much of an issue this could be. it can possibly even be a deciding factor the very instant you pick up the thing.

when i bought my one s i thought about going samsung as well and then decided against it simply because of the feel of other people's phones. for me personally, the feel of the device is a big deal, simply because i pull it out of my pocket and hold it in my hand maybe 100 times every single day. with a samsung, every time i'd be slightly disappointed by the feel of it... additionally, i have to say (although this can of course be customised away) samsung software somehow doesn't feel as refined as htc sense. i've played with a friends sgs3 and despite the promising hardware specs somehow using it didn't feel as smooth as my own phone.
i thought about the non-removable battery thing for quite a while as well but decided it wasn't a big deal in the end. i probably will not keep my phone for a lot longer than maybe 2 or 2,5 years and my previous phone didn't really show signs of degradation after that time. while the battery would have been replaceable, it simply wasn't necessary. storage isn't an issue for me either, the 16gb my phone comes with is totally acceptable for me (even carrying flac music (yes, probably overkill, but i cba to convert to mp3)).

So pay the same for an HTC One X (+) and have a better experience with superior build quality.

The One X is a good choice indeed, honestly the + is kinda a why bother option here unless you really need 32 gb of storage: the Snapdragon S4 on the original is just as good in daily use as the Tegra chip in the + and by many accounts delivers better battery life.

Edit, he wants to stay on Verizon.

I think the DNA is a great device and I'd choose it over the SGS III just because the screen is larger. The Sense 4 user experience is also very good + the phone is actually splash resistant (a hold over from the HTC J Butterfly it's based on) which I think is cool.

Last edited:
4.1.1 update going out to European HTC One S phones. 600-something update. It's HUGE!

Awesome! And for once it wasn't delayed for me, even though my phone is Vodafone-branded. Downloading and installing now.

Installing too. Man, that took long to download. CM 10.1 is 85 MB. How can this be 630? o_O