The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

When I got my first bike I started commuting with it from the get go. You'll rack up a lot of experience quickly.

I debated (still debating) this only because I have a 90% highway commute and I'm not that experienced on the highway. I plan to tryout my work commute on the weekend when the traffic isn't so hectic just to get the hang of it. Although sitting in traffic on a motorcycle doesn't sound all that fun...

I debated (still debating) this only because I have a 90% highway commute and I'm not that experienced on the highway. I plan to tryout my work commute on the weekend when the traffic isn't so hectic just to get the hang of it. Although sitting in traffic on a motorcycle doesn't sound all that fun...

Non congested freeway riding is easier than riding through a busy city.

I once rode with the choke on for a good 10 minutes and kept swearing at the poor motorcycle every time I tried to overtake and it just bogged down. :rofl:
10 minutes is ... impressive.

:mwf:

I've done that a few times on old two-stroke dirtbikes. Just thought my fuel mix was a little off and didn't figure it out until I fouled a plug or two. Felt pretty special.

That's how I feel about it. As long as it's not bumper-to-bumper on the highway I'm comfortable. Congested city streets on the other hand, even with a bit of lane splitting, still make me uncomfortable after riding for 4-5 years.

:lol: That just makes me think about a bunch of dumbass stuff I've done. Still do. Riding off without flipping my fuel on and having my bike die in traffic. Hooning (and eating it) on gravel. Damn I need another bike.

I use to forget often. It was fun to have the bike begin to die as I started a turn.

I once rode with the choke on for a good 10 minutes and kept swearing at the poor motorcycle every time I tried to overtake and it just bogged down. :rofl:

Blame me only ever owning cars with fuel injection. :D

Honda thought ahead with that issue. My CX's choke would rattle itself off after a mile or so. :p

I've done that a few times on old two-stroke dirtbikes. Just thought my fuel mix was a little off and didn't figure it out until I fouled a plug or two. Felt pretty special.

a few years ago, i was riding around on my quad and the left cylinder kept stopping
checked my spark plugs, carbs, ... nothing wrong with them

eventually i took of the cylinders...when i suddenly realised i should check my tank...yep, i had ran out of petrol
that was wasted set of gaskets :lol:

a few years ago, i was riding around on my quad and the left cylinder kept stopping
checked my spark plugs, carbs, ... nothing wrong with them

eventually i took of the cylinders...when i suddenly realised i should check my tank...yep, i had ran out of petrol

I heard the tale of a mechanic that disassembled a V8 trying to find out what was wrong, only to find out after a few days that the fuel gauge was broken and the car was out of gas... :rofl:

That's how I feel about it. As long as it's not bumper-to-bumper on the highway I'm comfortable. Congested city streets on the other hand, even with a bit of lane splitting, still make me uncomfortable after riding for 4-5 years.

What about a highway that flows ok, people that consistently tailgate one another, and random abrupt stops that lead to one or two rear-end crashes during each one-way commute?

If I was in CA I'd probably feel more comfortable riding on the highway but here, people are nearly retarded. Only way I could do it, is if I ride pre-rush hour.

What about a highway that flows ok, people that consistently tailgate one another, and random abrupt stops that lead to one or two rear-end crashes during each one-way commute?

If I was in CA I'd probably feel more comfortable riding on the highway but here, people are nearly retarded. Only way I could do it, is if I ride pre-rush hour.

So, you've ridden in Dallas, then? :p

Seriously - even in that scenario you are still safer on the highway.

So, you've ridden in Dallas, then? :p

Seriously - even in that scenario you are still safer on the highway.

heh

I'll give it a shot and see how I like it.

I use to forget often. It was fun to have the bike begin to die as I started a turn.
Now that would suck. Mine almost always died at lights. Makes you look like an idiot, but it's not really unsafe.

Hey at least they're not too hard to work on. :lol:

Like Spectre said, it's still better than surface streets. By far. Even if it's a clusterfuck, it's still a relatively closed road. Easy to see in front and behind you. Drivers are pretty predicable in that situation.

I'm proud to say that I have just bought my dream bike! I've been on bikes since I could walk, and was riding on the street right on the day I could get my learner's permit at 15 1/2. I had been lusting after the earlier Speed Triples back when they were new, at the time I was still in grade school. However, when it came time to buy a street bike, I knew better then to get one right away. I started with a 1979 Honda CM400, and bought and sold quite a few bikes over the past few years. My personal favorite was my 1975 Kawasaki H1 500 Triple, it was an absolute riot (and ironically even more insane than a Speed3, but you know!), what a machine. Unfortunately I eventually decided that 15mpg + 2-stroke oil was way too much for a motorcycle, so I let it go. I rode a 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM Supermoto / Motard for the past two years and hated to let it go, but at age 22 I knew it was time to get a Speed Triple. Shortly after listing the SM on Craigslist, I noticed a black 2003 955i pop up right in the next town over for exactly what I was asking for the SM - I knew it was meant to be!

I ended up with the 955i, with 10,200 miles for just $3200. The roads were clear here in Central NH so I simply decided to ride it home and wash the salt off after arrival, and now the battery is removed and the bike is waiting for spring! What a gorgeous and fun machine, I didn't get much of a chance to "really" open it up, but being used to smaller-displacement bikes I can definitely tell that this thing is an animal. Love it!

S31_zps1f5ac5ac.jpg

S32_zps7243a908.jpg

DSCF3042_zpscb6d0cd3.jpg

DSCF3043_zps039b371e.jpg

DSCF3044_zps4e838bed.jpg

DSCF3045_zps157f3d40.jpg

DSCF3046_zps2a4c717d.jpg

DSCF3047_zps4e68c2ef.jpg

DSCF3049_zps1d5c0160.jpg

Awesome! Glad to see I'm not the only New Englander on here that isn't afraid of a little two-wheeled winter adventuring.! :D

FUCK YOU AND YOU CHEAP MOTORCYCLES!!!! :bang: :explode:

Sorry.

Had to vent.

You just bought one of my dream bikes. Congrants! :thumbsup:

Congrats :)

A mattress works better... :D :p

Dude, where's your sense of adventure?! C'mon, sex on some Marchesinis! :p

Gawd, I hope Rule 34 doesn't play into effect...

So I took a trip to one of the nearby motorcycle dealers. Everything, even the Vespas, looked a lot bigger than what I had in my head. It was weird.