What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

As I said: The Beatles didn't record in stereo but in mono. The guitar was recorded in mono, the singer was recorded in mono, the drums were recorded in mono, etc. During mastering the guitar track was then for instance laid on the left channel while the voice was put on the right channel and the drums on both channels, so that they come from the middle. This is just an example to illustrate it.

This "double mono" has problems because most speakers sound rather flat and feeble when the instrument comes only from the left or the right speaker, mainly because the bass also comes only from one speaker and, well, most systems need both loudspeakers to create a powerful sound. I don't have this problem, though, since I got big speakers. Big is good, small is bad :D Don't believe the bullshit people tell you in the hifi stores about being able to hide your speakers while retaining good sound quality ;) It's either a lie or clever marketing to make people believe you can have a good sound with small speakers. You can't, even if the human hearing is able to reconstruct certain missing parts of the music signal.

So even if the bass is only on 1 channel, my speakers still have enough power to reproduce it rather juicy, if you know what I mean. And yes, the strict separation between guitar on the left and singer on the right (to stay with our example) can be confusing but in case of the current Beatles remasters they somehow managed to create some overlap, so it doesn't sound like you're hearing two different recordings.

Last edited:
Looks like it's New (to me) Bass Day for me!

mcUYj3c.jpg

I had an Ibanez SR300 a while back, and it played awesome and got me back into bass but I never really loved the sound - the pickups were versatile but kinda bland. So, I sold it and bought an Ibanez BTB1205 - which is awesome and has amazing Bartolini electronics but I'm still kinda hamfisted at five string. I really missed the feel of a four-string SR, so when a three-month-old SR600WNF popped up on Kijiji for less than half the price of a new one I had to have it - it's got the SR body and neck with the Bartolini pups I wanted. Plays like butter!

Reactions: Jay
Sadly, I thought the same thing.

It's a book distributed by Taschen about one of the world's most famous architects.

3 of these:

It's a book distributed by Taschen about one of the world's most famous architects.

Indeed. And it was ?7.50 at amazon.de.

The "stripper poles" are chromed structural steel columns.

A stripper pole?
Sadly, I thought the same thing.
You utter philistines! :may: :D

Anyway, I might follow suit... yesterday my g/f and I walked through a part of town that I hadn't previously been to and one of the stores we came across was the Taschen bookstore. I'd better leave my plastic money at home when I decide to shop there.

Last edited:
Taschen does find some awesome stuff to distribute. I have to admit, though...some are more...um..."artsy" than others.

New tires for the Fusion.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 225/50R17
ExtremeContactDWS_3.jpg

Wife drives so much in nasty weather I wanted to go up to a premium all-season that would provide better overall performance in exchange for shorter tread wear life. The DWS was my choice because
1) It was cheap ($117 a tire)
2) It is extremely well reviewed for wet/winter performance.

81tEvdYVSPL._SL1417_.jpg

They'll be delivered by the one whose works fine during the Balkan meet, because I couldn't find it anywhere for a decent price or where they didn't want to charge more for the postage than the actual album.

What, like today?
Yeah. She's a cello and piano teacher and drives all over the damn place in all kinds of weather. That's why the fusion has 80k miles.

Also I've recently discovered a penchant for fine scotch. This is a slippery slope.

Lagavulin-Scotch-Whisky-16-year-old.png

Last edited:
I approve of the above :thumbup:

It may have been considered "tech" back when it was built in '52, but today not so much.

uteuKAg.jpg

xHqXMRd.jpg

BhZTe11.jpg

1952 Singer 301 - the very first of the Slant-shank Singers. In amazing condition and found for $50 with its original Model 40 Queen Anne table at a local thrift store while I was out getting a hot dog. Doesn't do any fancy stitches (not even zigzag!) but it does a straight-stitch like you wouldn't believe.

Last edited: