Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well my wheels are here; the delivery guy called me and said the postroom wouldn't take them. Fortunately he could 'deliver' them straight to my building instead. Essentially the postroom wouldn't accept them as they are too big, which is fair enough, but I proclaim innocence as there is no maximum parcel limit posted anywhere. They said they've had a car door delivered before :lol:

Anyways; they do need a good touch up but its hard to tell without cleaning them first. However there is a lot of peeling paint so I think a respray may be needed.

17u8h4.jpg

Tyres are 3 Michelin Pilot Sports, 1 Pirelli P6000, all with pretty good tread (one of them looks nearly new). Pretty good for ?100 eh?

Anyway; getting them home will be fun; the Kangoo will need to be filled to the brim with these plus all my stuff. :lol:

Is it a car? Is it a moped? No, it's...

Is it a car? Is it a moped? No, it's...

...a T?ffli-Auto!
(German news link for those that prefer German.)

This has been all over the newspapers, even the serious ones, for the last few days here in Switzerland:
Screen-shot-2011-06-20-at-9.14.46-PM.png

tldr: kid welds his moped to the back half of a Renault Clio, gets stopped by the police who want to destroy it

So the Accord died.

Rather then me trying to recount the story, I'll just leave you with a link.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

Read any of those. I have the same exact problem. Woooo.

Parents are now looking at a 2011 TSX. Also going to go test drive the Infiniti G sedan, and maybe the Buick Regal (Opel Insignia).

Yikes, I gotta say I'm not terribly surprised...that autotragic was/is nearly Ultradrive like in its propensity to fail..especially in larger, heavier cars like the 2nd gen Odyssey and 1st gen Pilot/MDX.

This has been all over the newspapers, even the serious ones, for the last few days here in Switzerland

Are you based in Switzerland? I always assumed you were a fellow UKanian.

That's awesome anyway, much better than those scooters with lids on. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't be road legal, would probably be OK over here if it got an SVA test as a trike.

In other news I've come over all German today and I'm planning on starting a 'panel gaps' thread later on so we can all meaure and compare ours like proper car bores. :D

Mainly I want to see how laughably large the gaps in the Series are compared to normal cars.

Last edited:
In other news I've come over all German today and I'm planning on starting a 'panel gaps' thread later on so we can all meaure and compare ours like proper car bores. :D

Mainly I want to see how laughably large the gaps in the Series are compared to normal cars.

:lol: you totally should...although my panel gaps may be as large as yours interestingly enough..

I thought there was a recall out on those Accords. I remember hearing about it from an Element owner who was pissed his car wasn't covered, despite having the same transmission.

Ha. There is a classic MG forum I occasionally visit in which one of the members claimed modern MGs weren't "proper" because their panels aligned too well. That and the Moss worship there have made it an infrequence place for me to visit.

Did you go all German and use a caliper to measure them?

Don't worry he measured them in digits and fingers. :p

Ah, the British way, using body parts as units.

Just be glad that never caught on in Germany, else you'd need surgery to adhere to the standard... "NEIN, DASS FUSS IST ZO GROSS, WIR M?SSEN DAS KORRIGIEREN"

Last edited:
I thought there was a recall out on those Accords. I remember hearing about it from an Element owner who was pissed his car wasn't covered, despite having the same transmission.

They did. But they didn't do anything at all except check off that you brought it in to a dealer.

Also, on an unrelated topic. BlaRo and I just went to an estate auction. I bid $1100 on a 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9. The winner got it for $3200, but I got his contact info just in case.

Also, on an unrelated topic. BlaRo and I just went to an estate auction. I bid $1100 on a 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9. The winner got it for $3200, but I got his contact info just in case.

For when he goes bankrupt trying to restore it? :lol:

For when he goes bankrupt trying to restore it? :lol:

It actually was in beautiful drivable condition. Flawless interior, nearly perfect exterior. Still had the original Becker-Mexico radio.

Last edited:
2011 Camaro is decent to drive. Mother rented one while the parents are down for a reunion this weekend. Annoying raspy exhaust, annoying to get in and out of due to how low it is, but comfortable to sit in once you get there. Steering seems alright and it's fairly responsive, but I couldn't live with the awkward entry and exit procedure, or the steering wheel being so far away from me- although that would not be an issue for someone with short legs.

I would probably like it then as I injured myself getting out of the outback today due to how high it is.

I found it somewhat funny that a cutaway van (Ford E-Series from U-haul: My brother was moving to his new house) would have a nicely grained soft touch dash while a lot of today's cars make do with hard plastic:

http://img27.imageshack.**/img27/3222/img20110625135700.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.**/img600/4184/img20110625195746.jpg

That's when I remembered...this wasn't the latest version...it was made in 05 so who knows if things are different with the latest interior refresh.

And yes...I'm one of those people who have way too much time on their hands...:p