Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Come to America. I'll take you on a drive for 8 hours. Even then, you're only halfway through the country!

I've driven from Seattle to Akron, it took 36 hours. I'm certain you can't go halfway in 8 without going well over the speed limit.

I've driven from Seattle to Akron, it took 36 hours. I'm certain you can't go halfway in 8 without going well over the speed limit.

Good luck even without speed limits, you'd have to *average* about 150mph... including the several fuel stops needed.

Drove a Volvo today for the first time. They are nice, nothing to rave about, but nice.
Would not mind owning one at all.

:(

My condolences, Andeh.:hug:

The Anglia's passenger cell looks intact on the photo. I wonder what happened...

The cell is indeed intact, however being a 1960 car, it doesn't have any seatbelts. Sadly I imagine only a small bump and collision with the metal dashboard from the passenger would be enough to inflict very serious injuries. :(

Yeah, not usually over 1 hour tbh.
Thats my everyday commute, one way. And I only cover about 30 kms (lol traffic)
This weekend I did around 800 in under 8 hrs though, beating the satnav by 23 minutes

The cell is indeed intact, however being a 1960 car, it doesn't have any seatbelts. Sadly I imagine only a small bump and collision with the metal dashboard from the passenger would be enough to inflict very serious injuries. :(
I feared as much. :(

Good luck even without speed limits, you'd have to *average* about 150mph... including the several fuel stops needed.

Pretty much this, it takes like 7 hours to get form NYC to Buffalo and that's just one state... (granted it's not a straight shot) the drive from NYC to visit some friends in Carry, NC took me around 9 hours with short stops to switch drivers and a lunch break. Nowhere near halfway through the country...

- - - Updated - - -

Terrible news, searching around frantically trying to find it it was someone I know. :(

6512604-large.jpg

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/M...ists-injured/story-21944709-detail/story.html

Edit:

I know both of them. Very sad. :(

:comfort:

My condonlenses :(

Sorry to hear that, I wonder what happened. My condolences also.

For example, I hate how Rick gets treated every time he opens his mouth. We have actual idiots on this forum and on IRC, but it's him who gets talked down like he's Private Pyle.

Meh, when one goes above their knowledge skillset (knowingly or not, i'm firmly in the latter camp), it's totally fine to get knocked down a few pegs back to reality. I learned something new that I didn't know before that I should have known. That's all that matters, life is too short for me to dwell on how said learning is delivered to me.

edit: but thanks! :)

With Rick, I have a definite agenda in mind. Since it's not germane to this thread and you probably won't believe me if I told you, I'll just say that you should ask MWF what it is (he definitely knows, please use private messaging) and leave it at that.

Should I be afraid? :dunno:

Last edited:
Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Should I be afraid? :dunno:

Not really. It appears to have helped you some already and that is actually the point.

Unless you are afraid of being confident and resilient instead of a doormat, that is. :p

Back on topic, the truck's rebuilt AC works well, but not quite as well as it died before the compressor died a horrible screaming death several months back. I suspect there's just a little too much oil in the system or the evaporator case is improperly sealed. It works well enough that I don't care enough about the former to want to tear the system apart again and the latter is something I can look at later this year when it isn't nine billion degrees.

There used to be outfits in the US and UK that offered kits to bolt seatbelts into older cars that didn't have them. I haven't seen them in years, are they still around and if so would you put them in your Anglia after this incident?

Last edited:
Question to the expats in the US: Know of any companies beside Progressive that offer insurance to people without an US driver's license or SSN?

There used to be outfits in the US and UK that offered kits to bolt seatbelts into older cars that didn't have them. I haven't seen them in years, are they still around and if so would you put them in your Anglia after this incident?

Being a 1965 car, mine is actually one of the first built with standard front seat belts, as required by law. :)

Behold the Nissan Duster!

Last edited:
Question to the expats in the US: Know of any companies beside Progressive that offer insurance to people without an US driver's license or SSN?

I'll have to ask my boss somehow. In a nice way...

Behold the Nissan Duster!

4 speed auto :lol:

Then again, it has a gas strut instead of a poverty stick for the bonnet. That has to count for something.

But that indicator sound is infuriating. Bip bop bip bop. They could at least have given us a blip and a blop, but I guess the L was too expensive.

Then again, it has a gas strut instead of a poverty stick for the bonnet. That has to count for something.

Hey, poverty sticks are awesome. Only a few days ago I used the one on my Octavia to pull out a tool I dropped in the engine bay... it's just long enough to reach down all the way to the aero covers below the engine.

How much of a hassle would it be to drive a vehicle registered in the US (specifically one from a no front plate state) in Europe?