Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Heh, I thought about that when I was ordering the Tesla, but I don't ride my bike enough and also think that they're ugly. Fold away ones are great but are just another thing to break.

Fold-away towbars are not made for salty and grimy places. Mine has a microswitch in it that activates a safety beep whenever the towbar isn't fully locked in or out. Only my towbar didn't stop beeping when I folded it in... it was the way when I got it, two year old car. I fixed that by unplugging the buzzer.

Last spring, after not being in use for the entire winter, there was enough dirt and crap in the mechanism that it prevented it from locking tightly in the outer position. There was about a centimeter's worth of play. A bit of fine adjustment with a sledgehammer didn't fix it, but driving 30km with an unsprung car trailer (pictured above) did.

Also, good luck fitting a huge truck in the narrow streets of the older towns in Europe.

Not every place in Europe is a medieval town with narrow streets :p And these places needs goods transported in and out, in vehicles the same size as a huge truck.

Also, good luck fitting a huge truck in the narrow streets of the older towns in Europe.
Just park on the edge of town and take the EuriHatch stored in the bed into the town center.

Do CVT Altima drivers confuse engine noise for "spordyness"?

Automotive things that annoy me:

We've had the current Mercedes model nomenclature for over a quarter of a century now. I just saw an ad on FB for wind deflectors, with a comment under it where someone asked how much it costs for a "220 CDI". And there are lots of these people around.

We've had the current Mercedes model nomenclature for over a quarter of a century now. I just saw an ad on FB for wind deflectors, with a comment under it where someone asked how much it costs for a "220 CDI". And there are lots of these people around.
Must be a German thing, it's really the same for VW/Audi and even worse for BMW when it comes to your average buyer who can barely tell any cars apart.

"Will this fit my 320i?"

Even Porsche can't get away from it.

"Is this made for a 911?"

Must be a German thing, it's really the same for VW/Audi and even worse for BMW when it comes to your average buyer who can barely tell any cars apart.

"Will this fit my 320i?"

Even Porsche can't get away from it.

"Is this made for a 911?"

Typically when someone has “An E90”, it’s a 318i. If they have a 535d xdrive they will tell you, even if they’re shopping for wiper blades. :D

But BMW people are usually knowledgeable when it comes to their cars. A lot of them know their chassis codes, even. Many Mercedes owners refer to their car as “my 220” and have no idea what a “C class” or “E class” even is.

I remember once when someone wanted something for their “140” and I realized way too late the guy had an A140, not a W140. ?

While visiting my family I was able to see the progress on my father's MGB V6 project. This last year he began working on it again after years of it collecting dust. Now it has a new steering rack, rebuilt front end, and a second engine! It's also in a sexy matte black.
IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG

Just want to let everyone know that Amazon has our own Blaro's book, Beautiful Machines, on sale for $46.
If I remember right in our last google meets, he no longer gets revenue from it, so if you're buying it thinking it will support him, it doesn't anymore. But I could be very very wrong.

That's shitty. I'd expect the author to get residuals as long as they hold the copyright.

That's shitty. I'd expect the author to get residuals as long as they hold the copyright.

Yeah, I thought that was weird as well when he said that.

Yesterday I drove on the new Champlain Bridge, for the first time in high winds (35 kph with gusts at 50).

champlain-bridge-rainbow.jpg

It is built higher than the old one, and holly crap was the car thrown around. Wouldn't want to experience that in icy conditions like I've seen on the old one a few years back.

Last edited: