Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

This is what I've been dealing with for the past few days at home

LGGeswy.png

We had an outage a few days ago, its been snail slow ever since. Wifi and ethernet. I've tried rebooting my modem and router repeatedly. Last night I finally got fed up with it and called Comcast to complain. The guy on the line was playing music loud enough for me to hear it, and occasionally would start singing along. He claimed to be sending a "diagnostic signal to my router." When I asked if he meant modem, he said "no, I need to fix your wireless." Still not too sure what he did or how he got access to my router, but whatever, my internet went back up to 20Mbps (out of the 25 I pay $50/mo for). Today its back down to this bullshit.

Also, just checked the Xfinity site, and they have a plan that is 75Mbps for $50/mo.... 3 times my speed for the same price.... but for new customers only, because fuck you thats why.

Yeah, the new customer rates suck. It should be the same for everyone.

This is what I've been dealing with for the past few days at home

LGGeswy.png

We had an outage a few days ago, its been snail slow ever since. Wifi and ethernet. I've tried rebooting my modem and router repeatedly. Last night I finally got fed up with it and called Comcast to complain. The guy on the line was playing music loud enough for me to hear it, and occasionally would start singing along. He claimed to be sending a "diagnostic signal to my router." When I asked if he meant modem, he said "no, I need to fix your wireless." Still not too sure what he did or how he got access to my router, but whatever, my internet went back up to 20Mbps (out of the 25 I pay $50/mo for). Today its back down to this bullshit.

Also, just checked the Xfinity site, and they have a plan that is 75Mbps for $50/mo.... 3 times my speed for the same price.... but for new customers only, because fuck you that's why.

Honestly, I'd get whatever issues you have since the outage fixed before upgrading. The price diff between the new customer and existing customer is dumb as fuck. Not looking forward to dealing with them personally when I move.

If you're having issues with tech support, you could try here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

For some magical reason, I always get offered the exact same "new customer rebates" juts after I cancel my plan: "please come back, you can even have your old prices back!" :D

edit: then again, I do have more than one carrier to choose from...

And it's cheaper.

...Comcast...

Well there's your problem... :p

...also the $50 for 75Mbps price is most likely the promotional rate to lure new customers in. I can guarantee you that once the promotion period ends (a few months to a year), that price will jump up immensely.

Honestly, I'd get whatever issues you have since the outage fixed before upgrading. The price diff between the new customer and existing customer is dumb as fuck. Not looking forward to dealing with them personally when I move.

I called them back last night, and they did something again to correct the issue. We'll see tonight if the fix held over. I don't think its an equipment issue on my end since my modem/router worked fine right up until their outage.

Well there's your problem... :p

Sadly my only options are Comcast, AT&T or satellite.

...also the $50 for 75Mbps price is most likely the promotional rate to lure new customers in. I can guarantee you that once the promotion period ends (a few months to a year), that price will jump up immensely.

No doubt. I was paying $30/mo for 10Mbps for the first year I lived in my apartment. My plan was supposed to go up to $67/mo for the same 10, but I called them and said I was going to leave, at which point they offered me my current 25 for $50 "special". I'm guessing something similar could be done with the higher speed plan. Its total bullshit that you have to threaten to walk to get a fair price.

It's quite normal for them to offer the current new customer promotional rate when you call and threaten to cancel. Lots of places advise you to just call up your provider and immediately ask for the retention department before anything else. They'll have the power to (and basically always do) give you the current promotional rate, the normal customer service reps can't really do anything.

Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

But you can't just say "I don't want to pay $x a month, I want your promotional rate." You have to be bullshitty with your words so that they give you the time of day.

It's why I don't find buying a car fun.

Ahh the retention department. I worked with someone who was in that department before returning as a tech support rep. I dunno how I could have done it....

I'm fairly sure PCI was common by the time mere mortals had 128MB of RAM in their computers. Afaik my first PC (Pentium with 16MB of RAM) had PCI.

LOL my first machine was a 286 with a 1024KB HDD, RAM that reached into MB territory was for super computers

My first computer was a toaster oven box with a keyboard and screen drawn on it with marker. :lol:

My first computer was a toaster oven box with a keyboard and screen drawn on it with marker. :lol:

:lol:

This was my first computer:

c2mkf8W.jpg

:p

All the ISP woes make me real thankful I'm on FiOS.

Story time:
I used to pay 130/mo for 75/75 (FiOS is always same speed up and down)* and I had phone service through them (was cheaper at the time) and no contract. Because I had the older router they also gave me some BS with paying $5/mo maintenance fee or I could buy their new "Quantum" gateway (really just a better router with actual working wi-fi) for $200 and not have to pay the fee. The kick is that if you go 100+ they auto upgrade your router because the old one simply isn't capable.

So I chat em up and ask what they can do for me as far as upgrading my speed and such goes. The rep offers me 110/mo for 100/100 no phone service and 2 year contract (not really going anywhere for a while so that didn't matter) half way through setting that up the dude (or dudette) goes "oh I found you another deal, it's same terms but 100/mo (103 after fees)". So now I have a faster internet, paying less money, got new router and didn't have to deal with retention dept :p

(Edit: Continuing the old computer conversation...)

Yeah, well, my first computer had a TURBO button, so it's automatically cooler! :p

(Actually, it's still sitting right next to my desk. I'm tempted to piece it back together and get it running again...)

Last edited:
(Edit: Continuing the old computer conversation...)

Yeah, well, my first computer had a TURBO button, so it's automatically cooler! :p

(Actually, it's still sitting right next to my desk. I'm tempted to piece it back together and get it running again...)

I miss the turbo button :(

This was the first computer I owned (not my picture) :

Power_Mac_6100_60.jpg

Does that make me a hipster before hipster were a thing (like a hipster?)?

If we want to go way back, I still have my Radio Shack Color Computer.

Did you press it thinking you'd get some sort of boost, or did someone actually teach you that you pressed it to SLOW DOWN the PC? It blew my mind when I found out that it didn't work the way one would think it worked.