Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I don't play many games, and I don't play this particular game...but I kinda want to now.

n2qbzgM.png

Somehow have never even heard of this game...seems kinda like Assassin's Creed meets DOOM.

Yeah that's when it came out originally, with DOOM :p IIRC its was on Duke Nukem engine.

I'm totally ok with going through a game first on easy, then going back to see if you can do it on hard. I understand the desire to want to say you first got through it on hard, but that's soooooo not me. :lol:

I play on Normal first. If I can't make it through on Normal, I don't deserve too. Then we will talk about you have played this game far to much level.

Driver 2 on a PS2 played on my 1080P 46" tv is unbearable. Not because the graphics are bad, there's no upscaling so, it looks like a YouTube video on hotel wifi.

Driver 2 on a PS2 played on my 1080P 46" tv is unbearable. Not because the graphics are bad, there's no upscaling so, it looks like a YouTube video on hotel wifi.

Let me guess, LCD/LED? One of the main reasons I went for plasma 10 years ago is that anything that's not native resolution on LCDs tends to look like shit.

I plugged my PS1 in to my 40" UHD TV through an 1080p upscaler box a few weeks ago and it didn't look completely terrible, must be the upscaler that makes the difference. I've since upgraded it because the original one couldn't do smooth motion when I fed video from a Hi8 camcorder in to it.

I plugged my PS1 in to my 40" UHD TV through an 1080p upscaler box a few weeks ago and it didn't look completely terrible, must be the upscaler that makes the difference. I've since upgraded it because the original one couldn't do smooth motion when I fed video from a Hi8 camcorder in to it.

Yeah the upscaler would help

Managed to fall victim to a phishing attempt. I'm usually so good about these things, but somehow I blew right through the warning signs on this one.

They're getting sophisticated. Pretending to be a Google app using Google APIs. Got an email from a friend sharing a file via Google Docs, that then asked for permissions, which I blew through because I was actually expecting a shared file a few days ago that didn't come. Now I feel so stupid and violated.

That explains the e-mail I got from you with a google drive link. Happens to the best of us. Change passwords and enable 2FA if you haven't.

That explains the e-mail I got from you with a google drive link. Happens to the best of us. Change passwords and enable 2FA if you haven't.

I already have 2FA. Here are some links regarding what I fell for

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14258918
https://www.reddit.com/r/google/com..._almost_undetectable/?st=j29dyxal&sh=34df3bf4

Google has already killed it. HUGE miss on their part to allow someone to create an app called Google Docs using the official Google Docs logo that authenticated through an official Google OAuth screen.

Last edited:
So: When travelling to England and The Netherlands, to make sure i'm understanding correctly:
- Netflix: I'll only be able to watch items available in whatever country I happen to be in, even though I have a US subscription.
- Hulu is not available in either of these countries, even though I have a US subscription
- Amazon Prime will offer a "carousel of selections" available while travelling abroad, basically exclusively of Amazon originals, even though I have a US subscription.

Short of figuring out what a VPN/DNS is and how to use them, am I understanding the limitations correctly?

A peripherally-related question:
What's the cheapest-yet-not-utter-crap Android tablet, even if it's a no-name or off-brand from eBay?

I've done several google searches for reviews/ratings, and they all basically just rank the ones one could find at Best Buy, none of them being as cheap as I'd like. Wi-Fi only is A-OK. I thought about the Fire HD 8 32GB, but that's pushing me over $100, for something that isn't Android. Ideally 2GB ram, but no less than 1GB, and preferably less than 2.5lbs. OK with 8" screen or larger. I see the RCA Galileo which comes with a detachable keyboard case, but it's 3lbs.

Last edited:
Since Netflix is cracking down on vpn's, and even blocks ip ranges from big datacenters like OVH and digitalocean and whatever, i think your best option is to set up a VPN at home if your upload can handle it.
I guess the same is true for other streaming services.

Yeah... Netflix blocks Private Internet Access. :(

You'll get whatever Netflix offers there. Not bad considering I like Doctor Who and it's available in Germany. :)

So i go through my RSS feed and the first article that pops up:

http://gizmodo.com/a-huge-and-dangerously-convincing-google-docs-phishin-1794888973

A Dangerously Convincing Google Docs Phishing Scam Is Spreading Like Crazy

Timestamp says that was published at 3:45pm. The message broke around 2:55pm and I got hit around 3:10pm. I forwarded it to a friend at Google and he said they already had a huge team on it. Around 3:15-3:17, someone who supposedly works at Google posted to reddit that the thread had been neutralized. Mailinator also claimed very early on that they purged and destroyed the email associated. Anyone clicking the link in the emails now will get a "this oAuth app has been revoked" or something similar. Someone also posted the worm source on pastebin, and it seems like all it did was forward itself around (while using Google Analytics to keep track of itself), though it has not been verified if that code is actually the worm and complete. There is still yet to be an official statement from Google on extent of data compromised.

The worst part for me was that I was in a lab when this all happened, my laptop was connected to a truck taking data and my cellphones had no signal. As soon as the test ended, I went over to the shuttle waiting area to catch up on emails, and I got that email and infected myself. Had my test taken just 3-4 minutes longer, I would've seen it after Google disabled the app.

Last edited:
Since the link in the email just pointed to a google doc folder, I imagine it was super easy for them to completely neutralize the issue. Glad to see it fixed so quickly.

Since the link in the email just pointed to a google doc folder, I imagine it was super easy for them to completely neutralize the issue. Glad to see it fixed so quickly.

It wasn't a Google Doc folder. It was a fake app named "Google Doc" using the Google Doc logo. That's why it needed permission to access your email. The official Google Doc app doesn't need to ask for your permission because its built into your Google account user suite. Someone realized Google didn't have a check on that and was able to exploit the flaw to create this worm.

The permission request did make me question it a bit, but the rest of it looking so official, and using official Google authentication convinced me to click otherwise.

Oh, gotcha. I had clicked on an image in the article that I thought was relevant to the article, and didn't realize that it not only enlarged the image but too me to an article about something similar from 2014. *facepalm*

This is worrisome. I never got it but apparently people in districts like mine who use GSuite were also affected. I'm hoping my users didn't click (they didn't call us like they usually do for other emails so there's hope) but who knows.

I'll have to mention this to my coworkers and possibly send a email with instructions on removing the app permissions (supposedly one can use GAM to do this but I've never done it this way): https://www.reddit.com/r/k12sysadmi...as_shared_a_document_on_google_docs_with_you/

If anyone wants to check for and remove the permission manually: https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?pli=1

You should periodically go through this anyway and clear out any things that you no longer use.