Does any one smoke here?

Does any one smoke here?

• Total voters
Non smoker here, never will (and I can say that with conviction), and it's quite hard cos statistics say 30% of adults smoke but I don't think that's true. When I look around a bar, and around my group of friends, I can honestly say more than 80% smoke.

My parents smoked all through my childhood, that disgusting scent followed me everywhere my family went, car trips (the windows don't help one bit), etc.
I find it some smokers can be quite inconsiderate while others will try and take their smoke somewhere else and apologize about blowing smoke your way, which is okay but it doesn't take the thousands of carcinogens I just inhaled. The absolute worst is walking into a closed space which is not easily ventilated (elevators come to mind) where someone smoked recently.

Smoking women are a 200% turn off for me, and unfortunately as I said, most people in my age group do it.

I do, I'm trying to quit, not very hard though. I just went 2 days without a cigarette, but I had one today. I've cut back though, and I'm trying to cut back even more.

I used to smoke cigs but gave them up a long time ago. I will have an occasional cigar, I have two sitting in a drawer in a humidor pouch that were given to me as a box two years ago. I have one every month or so.

I do consume cannabis on a regular basis. I primarily smoke it, but also have the occasional edible. That is shifting though. Edibles and concentrates are becoming more the norm for me.

Well, considering that my mother died earlier this year at only 62 from cancer...

Nope. Never have. It's disgusting, smelly, rancid and vile. I cannot stand that smell, and Febreeze the shit out of anyone who comes into my house that smells of smoke.

And yeah, I'm still paying off my mothers hospital bills from her hospital and hospice stays. Where I watched her go through chemo and radiation...then finally die when the cancer spread to her brain.

If you smoke, honestly...do whatever you can to stop. You don't want to put your family through that shit.

If you smoke, honestly...do whatever you can to stop. You don't want to put your family through that shit.
I think your primary concern in a situation like that is yourself, not your family, as you're the one with the terminal illness.

Anyways, I have probably under 10 cigars a year so the health effects are minimal, if existent.

Thank you.

I smoke about a pack a day, have been doing so for going on twenty years, Marlboro Ultra Lights. I kind of hold my cigarette like the Germans do, so I do not smell much like smoke, and I also spit a lot so my breath isn't so smoky.

Just out of politeness I stand away from people when I smoke or downwind, and I never smoke around infants.

More than likely when my wife spawns an infant I'll stop smoking. Or smoke even more....

How things have changed in the past 2 1/2 years. No wife, no infant. NO worries! :D

I quit a year and half ago and do not miss it at all, rarely even think of it.

Nearly 3 years since I last posted here, heh.

Would probably take it up, if I didn't live with my parents, also it'd be too big of a financial drain at the moment.
Were this 20-30 years ago I almost certainly would, but it's awkward now with the smoking ban and I can't be arsed standing about in the miserable Scottish weather.

Tried it once, never again.

I smoke e-cigarettes. Healthier and no tar.

I'll still smoke a couple cigarettes a year for social reasons. Some of the nicest and most interesting people hang outside to smoke. The anti-smoking Nazis tend to be fairly boring.

As for addiction it's never been an issue. For a couple days there will be some craving, but then I'm good.

Disgusting habit and smells terrible. I can't think of many things I'd rather do less.

Marlboro reds. :)

Me too :D

Annoyingly, it's getting super hard to buy cigarettes in San Francisco. Any store with a pharmacy is not allowed to sell cigarettes, so since everywhere you go has a pharmacy nowadays I have to go a mile down the street to get a couple packs from the donut shop at $7 a pack.

Non smoker here, never will (and I can say that with conviction), and it's quite hard cos statistics say 30% of adults smoke but I don't think that's true. When I look around a bar, and around my group of friends, I can honestly say more than 80% smoke.

It's a cultural thing. I remember that I observed a similar phenomenon when I used to live in Bulgaria - in bars and clubs pretty much everyone smoked (and I dare say that the problem is even more prevalent in Eastern Europe than it is in Portugal. A majority of the population is still stuck in the mindset that "smoking is cool"). Here in the states, it is illegal to smoke in bars and clubs. There are people who do it outside, but they are looked at with disgust and general disapproval.

What I find funny is the general stereotype that a lot of Europeans subscribe to - "Americans are generally unintelligent and stupid". If that were the case, how come Americans realized that "smoking is cool" is a total sham and bad for your health decades ago, yet Europeans still have a generally favorable attitude toward smoking? (if not Europe in general, then at least Eastern Europe)

The problem here is that the anti-smoking lot pushed things too far. A bar should be able to allow smoking if they please, it's how the free market works.

I really like the way Pittsburgh handled the issue. If more than a certain percentage (I think it was 70%) of the establishments revenue come from the sale of alcohol than smoking is allowed indoors. The closest bar to campus wouldn't allow smoking during the day since most people in there were eating lunch, but around 9pm when the kitchen closed smoking would be permitted.

I don't smoke and I don't like it, but I have a problem when people tell others that they shouldn't smoke. As long as try don't blow their smoke right at me, I can more or less ignore it - even when all my clothes reek of smoke the next morning.

Last edited: