Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Did a bunch of work to my "new" car today.

Oil Change, Fixed the radiator, got the highbeams fixed, re-packed the old wheel bearings (I'll need new ones soon)

The car is essencially road worthy. And certainly daily driveable now! woo woo!

The mk1 Seat Ibiza, what the hell where they thinking?

P1020120.jpg

P1020121.jpg

P1020122.jpg

It's stupidly awesome... in a death trap kinda way.

It pre-dates the 458. ;)

The guy down the roadhas traded in their black "old" Fiat Panda (the one I bumped into) for a brand new 600 in white. I no longer have the newest car on the street. :(

Ok, problem solved. Drive your car at 60MPH into the front of his. You both win when you get new cars. I win because you destroy garbage. (Unfortunately the Yaris, is collateral damage)

Well, it has a radiator, so we can deduce that it isn't an air cooled Porsche or VW van. We're getting somewhere.

I'll give you guys a few hints, and I"ll try to get a post up later today.

It's got a 3.2l straight six, seats six, and when it was built it included some safety equipment standard that most other companies only offered as options or didn't even offer at all.

Wagoneers never had a low 3L class I6.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps it's a 320-engined Mercedes?

In other news, I went out to do the brakes on the Ford - only to find out (thankfully not the hard way) that none of my jackstands are rated to support the three and a half ton truck with the sort of safety margin you need. Guess I'm buying new jackstands and possibly a new jack.

Last edited:
Did the ML come with an inline 6?

theres a Mercedes that seats 6? I thought either 5 or 7, but 6?

In other news, I went out to do the brakes on the Ford - only to find out (thankfully not the hard way) that none of my jackstands are rated to support the three and a half ton truck with the sort of safety margin you need. Guess I'm buying new jackstands and possibly a new jack.

Drum brakes too?

Also, what year is yours I know the earlier 9th gens like mine had parking brake issues. Check the cable where it mounts to the pedal. Mine snapped off the little ball one night. I mean, since you're checking brakes, might as well check that.

Or not, I'm kind of a freak about parking brakes, I use it according to my family 'way too much for tiny inclines'.

The E320 wagon was available with a rear facing jump seat. Since you can't actually fit three people in the regular rear seat, it's really a 6 passenger car.

Drum brakes too?

Also, what year is yours I know the earlier 9th gens like mine had parking brake issues. Check the cable where it mounts to the pedal. Mine snapped off the little ball one night. I mean, since you're checking brakes, might as well check that.

Or not, I'm kind of a freak about parking brakes, I use it according to my family 'way too much for tiny inclines'.

Mine's a 95, the parking brake works fine and the cable ferrule is fine (had to check it recently). My problem is with the front brakes, which are shot. I need to replace calipers, pads and rotors up front. I'll do the rear drums as a preventative measure next month.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe I should grab a 95 pedal system, mine will somethings miss the ratchet and my foot will shoot to the floor. unlock and try again...

I'll give you guys a few hints, and I"ll try to get a post up later today.

It's got a 3.2l straight six, seats six, and when it was built it included some safety equipment standard that most other companies only offered as options or didn't even offer at all.

I'm really hoping this means you've bought a first-gen Rambler American.

I'm really hoping this means you've bought a first-gen Rambler American.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Although it's actually a 3rd gen. 1965. Wagon. 199 straight six. I love it.

Does anyone actually ever take the time to do this?