Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think it sounds fantastic. It ain't to V8, yo! :p

Has to be said though, Merc AMG did an incredible job of muffling that V12 noise with the two turbochargers...

"Are you high right now?" :rofl:

Anyone else here the 'recommend me a car' guy in their social surroundings? Cause these are exactly the sort of conversations you get to have all the time.....

"Do not buy that one, wrong engine for your needs, boot to small, options you will never use....oh you really like the color....go ahead then "

"No, alu rims do not make it faster......because it's a 90 hp shitbox honey"

"That's not what cruise control means"

"No, no a hybrid still means you have to pay for petrol....no it does NOT make it from 'the electricity'.

Theres a whole series of these. They're fantastic

[video=youtube;9-M5xg2Uyxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-M5xg2Uyxw[/video]

I especially love the JD Power award bit. What he says is totally true, the award is totally useless and not indicative of anything, yet manufacturers strive to get it because of how solidified the name is in your average consumers' mind.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% and cannot confirm the driver other than it was a white dude. But based on my location and a quick Google of where the dude lives :blink:... I believe I saw this...

chirs-evans-cars-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq6B56EokmwVz8yO1uUcPB9w4iSWfvnTVNFHn7AlH4V7A.jpg

A $26 oxygen sensor from RockAuto that's less than half the price of the Bosch splice-your-own universal sensor. How bad could it be?

I think it's generally acknowledged that the Nissan CVT is far and away the best of the USDM-available CVTs in any given era - but that's not exactly saying that much. When its durability is compared to regular automatics, it's about average or just below average. That's not great, but then you realize all the other CVTs tend to be down in the "OH GOD WHY" level of durability. :p

2x 2008, 1x 2009, 2x 2011, and 1x 2012 Jeep Patriots would like a word with you. Driven 30,000 miles per year and the fluid has been changed at least once in all of them. Around roughly 60-100,000 mile mark. It's not Chrysler derived (Hyundai?) but, they don't blow up. They're just in shitty cars.

2x 2008, 1x 2009, 2x 2011, and 1x 2012 Jeep Patriots would like a word with you. Driven 30,000 miles per year and the fluid has been changed at least once in all of them. Around roughly 60-100,000 mile mark. It's not Chrysler derived (Hyundai?) but, they don't blow up. They're just in shitty cars.
How many miles highway vs. city?

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Depends, I'd have to say the older ones have more highway miles (we covered a larger area back then) than the newer ones.

If I had to put a number on it, 60/40 highway/city.

Last edited:
Anyone have any side-by-side photos of BMW Yas Marina Blue and ford's Grabber Blue? My Google Fu is failing me.

I think it's generally acknowledged that the Nissan CVT is far and away the best of the USDM-available CVTs in any given era - but that's not exactly saying that much. When its durability is compared to regular automatics, it's about average or just below average. That's not great, but then you realize all the other CVTs tend to be down in the "OH GOD WHY" level of durability. :p

I was actually at a stoplight this evening next to a Corolla (I've got Corolla on the brain...send help) and wondered about this - I haven't heard/seen Corolla/Scion iM CVT horror stories, unlike the many youtube vids of frustrated Nissan owners. Have you heard of any unusually high Corolla CVT failures? You'd think that they'd get the reliability down pat for the Corolla where a buyer expects to be able to drive it to stratospheric mileage without any random issues.

Hyundai/Kia gave FCA their (imo pretty good) 6 speed autobox for non Freedom Drive II equipped Patriot and Compass'. The CVT is sourced from Jatco with Chrysler's own electronics and tuning: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/CVT.html

Update: I found a "sports" mode on the gear stick. It makes the car fucking almost undrivable.
The only good thing I have to say about this car is that the armrest on the door is really soft and comfy.
No wonder Nissan doesn't sell these here anymore.

"Are you high right now?" :rofl:

Anyone else here the 'recommend me a car' guy in their social surroundings? Cause these are exactly the sort of conversations you get to have all the time.....

"Do not buy that one, wrong engine for your needs, boot to small, options you will never use....oh you really like the color....go ahead then "

"No, alu rims do not make it faster......because it's a 90 hp shitbox honey"

"That's not what cruise control means"

"No, no a hybrid still means you have to pay for petrol....no it does NOT make it from 'the electricity'.
I used to be the 'recommend me a car' guy until I figured out people will still buy what they want, even if it's completely something they don't need or want.

My neighbour bought a fully specced Kia Venga automatic that was clogging up the dealer's showroom without even consulting me, despite me being the 'car guy'...

And you know what?
82hd6.jpg

I used to be the 'recommend me a car' guy until I figured out people will still buy what they want, even if it's completely something they don't need or want.

Yeah, people are mostly going to buy whatever they thought of in the first place regardless of advice or take some random offer they stumble upon at the first dealer they visit.

My father used to consult me about which car should he buy. A few years ago, we spent literally MONTHS going to dealerships and doing test drives, discussing options and prices.
He ended up buying on impulse a car he didn't even test drive.
A few years later, he asks again for advice, and I just tell him "Nope. You're just wasting my time." Lo and behold, he does the impulse buy thing AGAIN.
About a month later, I buy a car after extensive research and testing. When he sees it, I toss him the keys so he can test it, but he refuses, saying "I feel like you made a much better purchase, and driving it would be just salt in the wound."
2 years later, he trades it in for the SAME CAR, even the SAME COLOR, only it is now the facelifted version. :|

My father used to consult me about which car should he buy. A few years ago, we spent literally MONTHS going to dealerships and doing test drives, discussing options and prices.
He ended up buying on impulse a car he didn't even test drive.
A few years later, he asks again for advice, and I just tell him "Nope. You're just wasting my time." Lo and behold, he does the impulse buy thing AGAIN.
About a month later, I buy a car after extensive research and testing. When he sees it, I toss him the keys so he can test it, but he refuses, saying "I feel like you made a much better purchase, and driving it would be just salt in the wound."
2 years later, he trades it in for the SAME CAR, even the SAME COLOR, only it is now the facelifted version. :|

Pennsylvania, not even once.