Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I dunno why you would want a manual in a Charger (or 2015+ Challenger) anyway because the ZF 8spd auto is quite possibly the best auto out there and is faster than the manual. Having said that, I am a bit disappointed that it wasn't even an option, because it should be an option.

Center console is one thing, but I'm not really buying the electronics side of the argument. Unless the state of the art for PCM design is positively crap and ages behind the standalone ECU market (which is ages behind embedded systems as a whole and that's also ages behind IT as a whole), it should be a matter of copying the powertrain maps from the Challenger into an otherwise complete Charger unit. The body side and powertrain side shouldn't be tightly coupled at all.

More likely it's sales figures versus the cost of certification and compliance, and fitting those units into your CAFE rating.

I mean, you can just blindly copy the Challenger data into the Charger and call it a day. And knowing FCA, thats probably what they would do. But if you actually want to have a good product, it will require some unique calibrating for the unique weight and distribution of the Charger. I'm sure a good engine calibrator could probably knock it out in a couple of days using the Challenger as a starting point, but thats still time. Plus then you need to do all the safety signoffs, fuel economy testing, emissions testing, etc. Its not like it used to be when OEMs could just say "hey, we got this 429 big block on the shelf, lets put it into that Ranchero over there, slap some Cobra Jet stickers on it, and send it out the door." I wish it was still like that, but it isn't.

I dunno why you would want a manual in a Charger (or 2015+ Challenger) anyway because the ZF 8spd auto is quite possibly the best auto out there and is faster than the manual. Having said that, I am a bit disappointed that it wasn't even an option, because it should be an option.

Best auto is like best STD, still not good :p

Heard a radio ad this morning for a local Buick dealer offering a minimum of $5,000 on all trades. Got me thinking about the Regal TourX.

paadZ1ql.png

OlxwBIZl.png

Its the sexiest Buick in decades and I would never be able to get anywhere close to $5,000 if I were to try to sell my Jeep on Craigslist.

Granted, there probably is 10 asterisks and a novel of fine print that was not broadcast that would disqualify my Jeep from eligibility, but I'm kinda tempted to look into it.

I... actually kind of like it.

Unfortunately, I know GM will have gobs of fake chrome all over the interior which will turn into a million tiny dots of pain on my retinas whenever the sun hits the dash; the instruments will be a hideous blue, some parts will always be three settings brighter than the rest, destroying my night vision; the headliner will be from a 1995 S10 pickup (because if they can't be bothered to change it for a CTS-V, why would they for a Buick wagon?), and the door cards will have sharp edges along the window because it was $0.00.1 cheaper per car than finishing the edges.

And that's before we get to whatever idiocy they built in to the oily bits.

I... actually kind of like it.

Unfortunately, I know GM will have gobs of fake chrome all over the interior which will turn into a million tiny dots of pain on my retinas whenever the sun hits the dash; the instruments will be a hideous blue, some parts will always be three settings brighter than the rest, destroying my night vision; the headliner will be from a 1995 S10 pickup (because if they can't be bothered to change it for a CTS-V, why would they for a Buick wagon?), and the door cards will have sharp edges along the window because it was $0.00.1 cheaper per car than finishing the edges.

And that's before we get to whatever idiocy they built in to the oily bits.
Another thing is that according to their site it is going to have one engine only 2.0T

Nice Opel Insignia you've got there.

Insignia Country Tourer, no less. :)

Country Tourer doesn?t quite have the same ring to it as Allroad or Cross Country does. Even I didn?t know it existed before I bought one last spring.

My friend who bought that Crosstrek is currently getting the entire passenger seat replaced under the CPO Plus warranty because of an intermittent airbag fault.

That plus warranty just paid for itself.

Best auto is like best STD, still not good :p

Says you. :) There are legitimate reasons why some don't want a manual. But I feel we've rehashed that to death so... Haha.

Yeah, but you also bought one of the least reliable cars on the market with that Renegade, so we might put you in the same boat as Rick.

Last edited:
Oh that's where it ended up :)

Yeah, but you also bought one of the least reliable cars on the market with that Renegade, so we might put you in the same boat as Rick.

The wife bought it. And I value a happy marriage. :D

Caught my first accident on dashcam today. And a hit and run at that. License plate and driver's face was clear as daylight. Waited with the person who was hit until the cops got there and showed them the video. Was a very minor accident with minimal damage, but got it on camera none the less.

Last edited:
How did I miss this? Now I have to get to Dallas...

Caught my first accident on dashcam today. And a hit and run at that. License plate and driver's face was clear as daylight. Waited with the person who was hit until the cops got there and showed them the video. Was a very minor accident with minimal damage, but got it on camera none the less.
Good job! I hope the bad guy gets what's coming to him.