Carbage

[video]https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6039682979.html[/video]

:puke:

It was so good he drove it 100 miles. :lol:

Add Harley stickers before burning? Profit? Hmm...

OMG! MY EYES!!!

WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes people do this stuff to shitty ass cars? WHY?! It is still a slow piece of shit! Really grinds my gears...

On a similar note:

Recently a 20 yo Swiss tried to drive to Germany but was stopped at customs because his vehicle was deemend unsafe:

• The wheels were too big
  • The rims had been moved further away from the car with the help of some washers (to give it a wider track)
  • The suspension had been lowered to a point where it was no longer meeting regulations for minimum ground clearance
  • The tires were catching on the body work, with visible damage to the tires
  • The license plate was not mounted on the car, instead it was put behind the windscreen (which is ok for very short distances, but not for going into another country)
  • The car was classified as "too loud"

Sadly the article didn't have any pictures, because I would have loved to see this.

And how stupid do you have to be to think it's ok to drive such a monstrosity - and I'm talking purely about the technical aspects here - across customs with manned checkpoints on BOTH sides? If the Germans hadn't stopped him when he tried to get this thing north of the Rhine, the Swiss would have when he tried to get back. So I can't even imagine what kind of thought process the guy must have gone through in order to arrive at the conclusion "driving highly modified car with number plate in the wrong location and tires catching on the wheel arches through customs (two times) is going to be just fine". Nevermind what must have compelled him to do these mods in the first place.

Last edited:
On a similar note:

Recently a 20 yo Swiss tried to drive to Germany but was stopped at customs because his vehicle was deemend unsafe:

• The wheels were too big
  • The rims had been moved further away from the car with the help of some washers (to give it a wider track)
  • The suspension had been lowered to a point where it was no longer meeting regulations for minimum ground clearance
  • The tires were catching on the body work, with visible damage to the tires
  • The license plate was not mounted on the car, instead it was put behind the windscreen (which is ok for very short distances, but not for going into another country)
  • The car was classified as "too loud"

Sadly the article didn't have any pictures, because I would have loved to see this.

And how stupid do you have to be to think it's ok to drive such a monstrosity - and I'm talking purely about the technical aspects here - across customs with manned checkpoints on BOTH sides? If the Germans hadn't stopped him when he tried to get this thing north of the Rhine, the Swiss would have when he tried to get back. So I can't even imagine what kind of thought process the guy must have gone through in order to arrive at the conclusion "driving highly modified car with number plate in the wrong location and tires catching on the wheel arches through customs (two times) is going to be just fine". Nevermind what must have compelled him to do these mods in the first place.

Since when is it the customs office's job to do vehicle roadworthiness inspections. Their job is to monitor the importation/exportation of goods across the boarder, not blocking visitors because they deem the car unsafe. Now if the guy was also carrying something illegal, it would be a different story.

That might be one of the differences between the US and Europe: in Europe it is one of the jobs of the customs office, especially between a non-EU country as Switzerland and an EU country as Germany. If the car obviously doesn't adhere to road traffic regulations you aren't allowed to drive it on the streets, thus making it illegal to enter the country with that car.

Last edited:
Since when is it the customs office's job to do vehicle roadworthiness inspections. Their job is to monitor the importation/exportation of goods across the boarder, not blocking visitors (...)

Says the country that wants to build a wall to Mexico. :p

Not straying into politics though, how else would you make sure that the cars entering a country are road legal, apart from checking them at customs? And not everybody is stopped there for an inspection. Actually hardly anybody gets stopped when entering Germany (or Switzerland). As long as your car looks half decent and doesn't have any parts falling off (or the wheels catching on the body work, or no number plate!), you can pass freely from one country into the other. (ok you might get stopped for looking suspicious or belonging to a certain ethnicity, or crossing the border at a suspicious time, for instance when everybody from Switzerland goes shopping in Germany and doesn't feel like paying import tax on their way back. This usually happens every Saturday, very bad time to cross the border.)

The kind of cars that get stopped at customs regularly are mostly either very very old and in bad condition, or heavily (and visibly) modified. And since a badly maintained or shodily modified car can be a danger to other people on the road, I think it's reasonable to stop and turn them around.

Btw: that particular was also not road legal in Switzerland, and the driver got a fine for it (in Switzerland). I guess he never thought it necessary to register the modifications and have them checked. While the TUV-equivalent in Switzerland is a bit more relaxed, it still exists and people have to bring their cars in for mandatory inspections, although not quite as regularly as in Germany. You can't just lower your car to the ground clearance of an F1 car, put bigger tires on it (with the assistance of some washers) and call it a day. That shit needs to be inspected by a government official afterwards, and only if they deem the car still roadworthy, then you can drive around in it. At least that's the idea.

Last edited:
Since when is it the customs office's job to do vehicle roadworthiness inspections. Their job is to monitor the importation/exportation of goods across the boarder, not blocking visitors because they deem the car unsafe. Now if the guy was also carrying something illegal, it would be a different story.

You're going into a country where they have portions of highway with no speed limit. I don't want to have to dodge car parts while driving because some the idiot in his poorly modified car wasn't fastening things correctly.

We're currently having problems with that here in the US - Mexican trucks (semis) aren't required to be maintained to the same standard as US trucks and they come across the border with dysfunctional brakes, bad steering, etc., etc. We had been starting to implement some inspections performed by special Customs officers, but the prior administration decided to just accept Mexican inspection standards after some modifications and let those trucks in. Needless to say, after a series of nasty accidents and a whole bunch of people killed, there's a lot of pressure on the US government to reverse that decision and resume/enhance the Customs inspection program.

Last edited:
Says the country that wants to build a wall to Mexico. :p

Not straying into politics though, how else would you make sure that the cars entering a country are road legal, apart from checking them at customs? And not everybody is stopped there for an inspection. Actually hardly anybody gets stopped when entering Germany (or Switzerland). As long as your car looks half decent and doesn't have any parts falling off (or the wheels catching on the body work, or no number plate!), you can pass freely from one country into the other. (ok you might get stopped for looking suspicious or belonging to a certain ethnicity, or crossing the border at a suspicious time, for instance when everybody from Switzerland goes shopping in Germany and doesn't feel like paying import tax on their way back. This usually happens every Saturday, very bad time to cross the border.)

The kind of cars that get stopped at customs regularly are mostly either very very old and in bad condition, or heavily (and visibly) modified. And since a badly maintained or shodily modified car can be a danger to other people on the road, I think it's reasonable to stop and turn them around.

Btw: that particular was also not road legal in Switzerland, and the driver got a fine for it (in Switzerland). I guess he never thought it necessary to register the modifications and have them checked. While the TUV-equivalent in Switzerland is a bit more relaxed, it still exists and people have to bring their cars in for mandatory inspections, although not quite as regularly as in Germany. You can't just lower your car to the ground clearance of an F1 car, put bigger tires on it (with the assistance of some washers) and call it a day. That shit needs to be inspected by a government official afterwards, and only if they deem the car still roadworthy, then you can drive around in it. At least that's the idea.

I was actually let into the USA without any license plate on my motorcycle (the plate had fallen off).

After checking the registration to make sure the bike was mine and not stolen, when I said "I guess that's the end of my ride...", the custom officer replied that as far as he was concerned, I was free to enter is country :shock: