What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

HSbDQLq.jpg

I don't even know what I need paper for, but I'd be damned if I didn't buy 3 reams.

Somebody dun fucked up on ordering...

Somebody dun fucked up on ordering...

Nah, it's a rebate during back-to-school. I built a whole free computer one time for about $50. CD-Rom drive, modem, video and sound cards and ram were 98 cents each, case with PSU was $2, and the motherboard/CPU combo was something like $40. I probably had 2 closet shelves full of blank CD-R discs that were supposed to be free after rebate. The trouble was tracking and following up on all of those damn rebates. Took way too much time, and took way too much effort. Fuck you, Tiger Direct. Back in the day, half their catalog seemed like it was "free after rebate", and they were the WORST as fulfilling the rebates.

If this paper is an in-store instant rebate, though, then It's easy peasy.

Last edited:
Nah, it's a rebate during back-to-school. I built a whole free computer one time for about $50. CD-Rom drive, modem, sound card and ram were 98 cents each, case with PSU was $2, and the motherboard/CPU combo was something like $40. I probably had 2 closet shelves full of blank CD-R discs that were supposed to be free after rebate. The trouble was tracking and following up on all of those damn rebates. Took way too much time, and took way too much effort. Fuck you, Tiger Direct. Back in the day, half their catalog seemed like it was "free after rebate", and they were the WORST as fulfilling the rebates.

That is a name I have not heard in a long time.

Rebates are a way to make a product look really cheap, and it is stil in favor of the company that gives it. Most people just don't follow through on the rebate, or mess it up when sending it in, so the company still makes the original profit on most of the items sold.

Not instant :(
But they have an online form making it easy enough. Just type in the number on the receipt and it auto populates what rebate you're eligible for. No cutting out UPCs, or photocopies of receipts or mailing anything anywhere.

Rebates are a way to make a product look really cheap, and it is stil in favor of the company that gives it. Most people just don't follow through on the rebate, or mess it up when sending it in, so the company still makes the original profit on most of the items sold.

Yup. Would actually be pretty interesting to see how many people fail to claim a rebate because they forgot or were too lazy. I'm actually surprised companies offer online rebate form submissions now because that makes it even easier. Theres no excuse when you can submit a rebate form in 10 seconds on your phone in bed.

That is a name I have not heard in a long time.

We actually use them all the time at work (corporate furniture dealer/installer). They seem to focus on businesses now, and we use them as a half-way decent source for decent quantities of surge protectors.

The first PC I built came from one of their combo deals. I just added a heatsink, case, graphics card, sound card, and power supply.

Last week was a good week if you are a big kid.

UCS Millenium falcon arrived, and has already been built (see the lego thread), and my Mini SNES arrive.....it's fantastic, it looks, even feels just like a classic SNES, same plastic, same clicky noises from the power and reset buttons, proper controllers for people with 2 thumbs instead of the 7 that seem to be required these days, games are a perfect selection, and it all feels just like the real thing.....it's a hoot!

For my wallet on the other hand, it was not a good week.....

What is that used for? Cutting dowel rods?

What is that used for? Cutting dowel rods?

Bone, mostly.

NcmUoT0.gif

BTW, It can also use 9" blades. ;) When we trim our trees, there are branches that are too thick for the pruner. I have a plug-in recip saw, but we don't have power on the exterior of the house. I made this panel of wood that fits in our window frame, that has a j-box and a 120v duplex hard-wired in, to a length of extension cord (as well as a exterior light fixture and a dimmer switch). I can take off the screen for the back window, put this panel in the window frame, close the window on it, and plug it in, inside the house. It's fully closed-off so it's like the window is closed, but it's just a pain in the ass. We used to just throw the extension cord out the window, and close towels in it to fill the gap and keep the bugs out, but it never worked properly, and depended on us having used towels that needed laundering anywa, or use clean ones that will then have to be washed. And even after all that, it's a fairly heavy recip saw that isn't easy to use one-handed after you've been woking for a while. When cutting twisty, long branches, it is tricky to hold it steady while you cut it one-handed with a two-handed saw...or it takes two people (one to hold, one to cut).

So, I splurged on the cordless hackzall. It's only got a 5/8 stroke (compared to 1"+ of most full-size recip saws), but when you're only cutting 1"-2" branches, I'm not sure I'll notice much of a difference.

I'm just also spoiled with cordless tools. Things that you'd never have guessed could be cordless just 6-8 years ago, and even have enough power, are now a legit reality. Belt sanders, angle grinders (especially DeWalt's 60v FlexVolt unit), impact wrenches (same), compound miter saws, trim routers, air compressors, nail guns, etc.

Last edited:
Last edited:

b785aba1b282a4908c8d33f6f9aa5711.jpg

Troy-Bilt weed eater, Trimmer Plus bush trimmer attachment and mini chainsaw add ons.

Engine and bush trimmer were from Lowe?s and the chain saw attachment I got at Menards because it was listed 10 dollars cheaper than at Lowe?s plus, there?s an 11% rebate going so, in total, I?m spending 20 dollars less on the chain saw attachment.

Pricey but, it made cutting branches off trees easier and cutting my neighbors bushes that are slowly turning into trees behind my garage. I no longer have foliage rubbing against my garage roof and gutters.

Now I just need to put all the cut branches and crap somewhere. :lol:

Using the chainsaw with the extension rod is almost too much for the little 25cc engine. You?ve gotta build momentum in the chainsaw to get it to cut branches.

As it was, I was stretching on a ladder to reach to some branches and they droop so far down.

Sometime in the spring I?ll probably be getting the edger attachment so that I can reclaim my sidewalk a bit from the earth.

Last edited:
Barends and (reflective) raingear for biking - let the dark and rainy season begin...

New area rug for basement tv room.

Don't let anyone urinate on it.

Rug has off white, tan, and blue in it. Just like the couches. Walls are white and it has plank ceiling.

I just got what colors I already have...

6c6c12705b4e8404b54da7846f65120b.jpg

Blanket on one couch is because I?m watching my parents two pit bulls.